Thursday, September 10, 2009

Rhetorical Questions

Ever since Elli was born, I have kept up a steady stream of conversation with her throughout our day. Of course, this has always been one-sided, although I would often complete her part of the conversation, too. :-) Much of this was in the form of rhetorical questions:

"Elli, do you want to go shopping?"
"Elli, are you ready to get dressed?"
"Elli, do you want to get a bath?"

You get the idea.

Well, over the last week, the conversations have taken a new twist. :-) Last week, I asked her, "Elli, are you ready for some lunch?" She replied "Yah!", and then walked into the kitchen and stood next to her chair. I was dumbfounded!

Then tonight, as I was getting her ready for bed, I asked her, "Are you ready to brush your teeth?" She responded with "Yesh", and then walked directly to the bathroom and stood by her stool at the sink.

Clearly, there is nothing wrong with her receptive language. :-) And I guess it's time to stop asking questions when she really doesn't have a choice...because they aren't rhetorical anymore. :-)

2 comments:

Cyclin' Missy said...

Smart girl! Awesome.

Before you know it, she'll be reading books to YOU and discussing the current economic climate.

Mrs. Ford said...

Are you familiar with the cartoon "Mutts"? Mooch, the puppy, uses lots of extra "sh" sounds in his speech. We quote him often, jush becush ish fun. We decided that Elli must be a relative...yesh?! :) Great story, and yep, you better not ask questions that you don't want answers to!! Love, Jess & Jen