Tuesday, May 4, 2010

No More Nursing! - Feeding Clinic Day 12

I nursed Elli for the last time yesterday evening. Her little belly was so full from her dinner that she nursed for about 45 seconds, sat up, and said, "All Done!" Tonight, she didn't even ask to nurse, and I definitely didn't offer. :-)

Yesterday, we introduced gritty textures into her diet - gritty applesauce, gritty pears, etc. Up until now, she's only been fed foods that have been pureed to a smooth texture. For now, the gritty textures aren't part of her "meal" - they are only done for practice. Once she accepts them well during practice, they will be added to her meal.

Today, we added carrots to her menu (which she was definitely not thrilled about!). Her entire menu for meals consists of yogurt, bananas, green beans, chicken & mashed potatoes, pears, cottage cheese pureed with blackberry preserves, and now carrots. She also is allowed a few chewables, like goldfish, cheerios, Nutrigrain bars, etc - just enough to keep practicing those skills so that she doesn't lose them.

I hope soon to post a description of the typical day at the feeding clinic, as well as a typical therapy session and the protocol used in each therapy session. However, for tonight, I'm too tired! :-)

Thanks again for all your prayers and support - we are so blessed by our fabulous support system!

3 comments:

Mrs. Ford said...

Woo-hoo! No more "grub!" You said in an earlier post that they were thinking about graduating Elli early...but I can't remember how long it was supposed to last in the first place: eight weeks? How are you surviving on actually getting some sleep? We'll continue to pray for good transitions and acceptance of new textures! :)

Heather V said...

I can't even tell you how excited I am for you! Woohoo!!!!!

The growing Carpenters said...

I am so happy for you and Elli... she must feel just fabulous to be full! You must feel fabulous to be free... maybe a little sad... or are you WAY past that?